lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: implementatin of the state-of-art retrieval models for lucene?
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:03:52 GMT
Hi Hui,

We love contributions!  Take a look at

Are these changes on top of Lucene or part of the core?  If they are
on top, they could go as a contrib which is much easier to get
accepted. The best way to submit changes is through a patch.  It is
best if you have unit tests and some documentation explaining what
you did, but not an absolute requirement.

On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:42 PM, Hui Fang wrote:

> Dear all,
> My primary research interest is Information retrieval, with a focus on
> developing
> effective and robust retrieval models. I am happy to send my first
> email
> to Lucene community.
> Lucene and nutch are really useful IR systems. But I think that the
> current
> retrieval function
> implemented in Lucene does not perform as well as other state-of-art
> retrieval functions in terms of effectiveness.  I have implemented
> some
> state-of-art models
> (such as pivoted normalization, okapi and axiomatic retrieval models)
> on top of Lucene, and evaluated these models and the default model
> implemented in
> Lucene using standard IR evaluation methodology. Experiments show that
> the state-of-art retrieval functions outperform the default one.
> Actually, this is one assignment my advisor and I designed for our IR
> course.
> After posting this assignment online, quite a few IR researchers
> contacted
> us and
> asked for the code of our implementations.  So, we think that
> it might be beneficial to everyone in the lucene community and IR
> research
> community,
> if we could contribute our implementation of the state-of-art
> retrieval
> functions to Lucene.
> I think that our contribution could help improve the retrieval
> performance
> for both
> Lucene and nutch.
> What do you think?