lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release Lucene 2.1
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:10:30 GMT
I've been reading this thread and here is my take as I will be
updating jpackage for a 2.1 release.

The content of a binary distribution differs widely as to what is
included in it. It obviously needs to have one or more jar files that
represent the product. Beyond that I have never really cared. Some
include the source; others the javadoc; others readme, licenses,
changes and the like; etc.

I don't think that one should ever expect to build from a binary
package. Even if one could.

What is necessary for JPackage (or any other build system) is the
pristine SOURCE package from which the jars, javadoc, readmes,
licenses and the like can be generated or obtained.

For JPackage, I have needed to patch the source so that it can build
(e.g. JPackage 1.6 and 1.7 are Java 1.4.2 distributions and the Java
5 specific stuff needs to be excuded or modified).

So for me, the question of a release is whether I can package the
source package for JPackage and whether I can use the binary package
as is when I don't grab it from JPackage.

 From this thread, I gather Lucene 2.1 is ready enough for me.