lucene-dev mailing list archives

From karl wettin <karl.wet...@gmail.com>
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:11:25 GMT
I'm synchronizing LUCENE-550 to support the new deletable
IndexWriter. One of the features in this patch is the
NotifiableIndex, a decorated layer that lets the consumer keep track
of what is going on with the index.

In order for that to work I need to place the creation of the
deleting IndexReader in a factory method, extended by NotifiableIndex.

As I'm not that in to the inner works of Directory/Segment, I wonder
if someone could guide me a bit in the new code? I've identified this
as what I need to change:

>   private final void maybeApplyDeletes(boolean doMerge) throws
> IOException {
>     if (bufferedDeleteTerms.size() > 0) {

>       for (int i = 0; i < infosEnd; i++) {
>         IndexReader reader = null;
>         try {
>           reader = SegmentReader.get(segmentInfos.info(i));

I've introduced this method in my IndexWriterInterface:

>   public IndexReader indexDeleterFactory() throws IOException

Could the reader per segment be replaced by one single MultiReader
created by the original indexDeleterFactory()? Or are the segments
partially the RAMDirectory of the writer, partially the persistent

If not, I have to come up with an alternative solution. The only
thing I could think of is to invert the process:

>   public IndexReader decorateIndexDeleter(IndexReader indexReader)
> throws IOException

The default implementation would just return the same index reader as
passed as parameter, but the if the IndexWriter was created via the
NotifiableIndex#indexReaderFactory, the reader would decorated so I
can pick up the delete-calls.

This is however an ugly solution.

I'm open to suggestion.

--