lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "jian chen" <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:41:15 GMT
I totally second Robert's thought.

My concern is, to get the raw speed of Lucene, you got to get to the basics.
If we start to apply layers upon layers of code to just mask off the
internals of Lucene, it will not do any good.

An example perhaps is the Windoze vs. Linux. As an end user, you get all the
fancy features in Windoze, but, as a software developer, you get frustrated
when not able to access the low level stuff easily. Linux is good in this
aspect.

I think the Lucene library should be designed simple and efficient in order
to allow tweaking for raw speed. That's the spirit for large scale search
engines, right? Even Google file system has to sacrifice some design for raw
speed, i.e., files are append-only.

Cheers,

Jian