lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Sami Siren" <ssi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven builds
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:00:08 GMT
2007/2/15, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org>:

> My first impression of maven:
>   Pretty websites as part of the build system - cool!  And it's
> *great* for starting
> a new project... unit tests automatically run, website is built,
> automatic packaging, jar/war build, everything you need!
> But, it all seems like magic to me... if I want to do something different,
> even a minor little change, I don't know where to start.  If I want to add
> an
> additional compile flag, where does that go??? I have no idea.  To change
> the
> behavior (like using Java5 source) I need to google and find the magic
> incantation.

Are you saying that the first time you tried ant everything was immediately
clear to you - no need to vistit ant.apache.org ?

Maybe the benefits of maven pay off over the long run, but as one
> casual/newbie user, it just seemed like too much of a black box that I
> can't quickly hack to get it to do what I want.

I have been "forced" to use m2 for the past year or so, but at this point I
have to say
thath I kind of like it (pervert me).

Even my spine seems to like it, more than once I have tried to build various
Lucene projects
with mvn install or run unit tests with mvn clean test ;)

--
 Sami Siren