lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene 2.1, soon
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:38:11 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : since we have different sets of committers for different sub-projects,
> : it probably makes more sense to have per-subproject KEYS files.  That
> : way folks can add their own keys without altering our current permission
> : scheme.
>
> yeah, it would certianly be a "paradigm shift" ... i suggested it only
> because there already is a PMC level KEYS file (for no clear reason that i
> know of)

I'd vote for removing that top-level one, since it only confuses things.

> (a second reason is that there *may* be some people who would have more
> faith in a centralized KEYS file for all Lucene projects then for
> sub-project specific - i have no idea how people who worry about
> signed releases feel about that)

Browsing http://www.apache.org/dist/, there are a variety of styles.
Many projects have no top-level KEYS file.  The common rule seems to be
that a KEYS file applies to its containing directory and all
subdirectories of that directory, although the automatic verification
code does not require that, considering all KEYS files.

http://people.apache.org/~henkp/checker/sig.html

Doug