lucene-dev mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Lius into apache incubator
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:06:16 GMT
Hi Rida,
I've been talking with Jukka Zitting (involved in Nutch) about parsing/Tika and we started
to sketch out some project objectives on the Wiki over there which may be of interest:
 http://code.google.com/p/tika/w/list

I recently did a round-up of the main open source projects which maintain their own custom
document parsing framework and counted over 17. There was a fair mix of approaches and  parser
choices but a lot of commonality suggesting a common project is possible/useful. The above
WIKI sketchings were an attempt to outline the requirements for such a common project and
also were questioning where best to host this.

>>Tika is a really good projet and I'm really interested to join it.
I suspect one of the main differences between Lius and Tika's current objectives is that Tika
aims to be independent of any application which consumes  the parsed data (e.g. not tied to
Lucene indexing classes). That said, I don't imagine it is too hard to decouple Lius's parser
logic from it's indexing logic.

Cheers,
Mark