lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Nadav Har'El" <...@math.technion.ac.il>
Subject Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:17:10 GMT
On Fri, Feb 09, 2007, jian chen wrote about "Re: NewIndexModifier - - - DeletingIndexWriter":
> Following the Lucene dev mailing list for sometime now, I am concerned that
> lucene is slowing losing all the simplicity and become a complicated mess.
> I think keeping IndexReader and IndexWriter the way it works in 1.2 even is
> better, no?
> Software should be designed to be simple to use and maintain, that's my
> concern.

Hi, I wonder - how do you see the original IndexReader and IndexWriter
separation "simple to use"?

Every single user of Lucene that I know, encountered very quickly the problem
of how to delete documents; Many of them started to use IndexModifier, and
then suddenly realized its performance makes it unusable; Many (as you can
also see from examples sent to the user list once in a while) ended up writing
their own complex code for buffering deletes (and similar solutions).

So for users, the fact that an index "writer" cannot delete, but rather an
index "reader" (!) is the one that can delete documents, wasn't simplicity -
it was simply confusing, and hard to use. It meant each user needed to work
hard to get around this limitation. Wouldn't it be better if Lucene included
this functionality that many (if not most) users need, out of the box?

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Feb 13 2007, 25 Shevat 5767
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |suck, we would all fall off.