lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:31:24 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Just to put in two cents: the Flexible Indexing thread has also talked
> about the notion of being able to store arbitrary data at: token,
> field, doc and Index level.
>
> -Grant

Yes I agree that this should be the long-term goal. The payload feature
is just a first step in the direction of a flexible index format. I
think it makes sense to add new functions incrementally, as long as we
try to only extend the API in a way, so that it is compatible with the
long-term goal, as Doug suggested already. After the payload patch is
committed we can work on a more sophisticated per-doc-metadata solution.
Until then we can use payloads for that use case. Flexible indexing is
very complex and progress is progress... :-)