lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:17:54 GMT
On 12/22/06, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Precision would be enhanced if boolean scoring took position into
> account, and could be further enhanced if each position were assigned
> a boost.  For that purpose, having everything in one file is an
> advantage, as it cuts down disk seeks.  Turn off freqs, positions,
> and boosts, and you have only doc_nums, which is ideal for matching
> rather than scoring, yielding a performance gain.

I'm aware of this design. Boolean and phrase queries are an example.
The point is, there are different queries whose processing will
(continue to) require different information of terms, especially when
flexible posting is allowed. The question is, should the number of
files used to store postings be customizable?

Cheers,
Ning