lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Efficiently expunging deletions of recently added documents
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:44:17 GMT
> I'd like to open up the API to mergeSegments() in IndexWriter and am
> wondering if there are potential problems with this.

I'm worried that opening up mergeSegments() could easily break the
invariants currently guaranteed by the new merge
policy(http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-672).

The two invariants say that if M does not change and segment doc count
is not reaching maxMergeDocs:
B for maxBufferedDocs, f(n) defined as ceil(log_M(ceil(n/B)))
1: If i (left*) and i+1 (right*) are two consecutive segments of doc
counts x and y, then f(x) >= f(y).
2: The number of committed segments on the same level (f(n)) <= M.

Ning