lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <>
Subject Re: Efficiently expunging deletions of recently added documents
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:44:17 GMT
> I'd like to open up the API to mergeSegments() in IndexWriter and am
> wondering if there are potential problems with this.

I'm worried that opening up mergeSegments() could easily break the
invariants currently guaranteed by the new merge

The two invariants say that if M does not change and segment doc count
is not reaching maxMergeDocs:
B for maxBufferedDocs, f(n) defined as ceil(log_M(ceil(n/B)))
1: If i (left*) and i+1 (right*) are two consecutive segments of doc
counts x and y, then f(x) >= f(y).
2: The number of committed segments on the same level (f(n)) <= M.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message