lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <psm...@aconex.com>
Subject Re: ThreadLocal leak (was Re: Leaking org.apache.lucene.index.* objects)
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:51:59 GMT

On 16/12/2006, at 6:15 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Moving to java-dev, I think this belongs here.
> I've been looking at this problem some more today and reading about
> ThreadLocals.  It's easy to misuse them and end up with memory
> leaks, apparently... and I think we may have this problem here.
>
> The problem here is that ThreadLocals are tied to Threads, and I
> think the assumption in TermInfosReader and SegmentReader is that
> (search) Threads are short-lived: they come in, scan the index, do
> the search, return and die.  In this scenario, their ThreadLocals
> go to heaven with them, too, and memory is freed up.

Otis, we have an index server being served inside Tomcat, where an
Application instance makes a search request via vanilla HTTP post, so
our connector threads definitely do stay alive for quite a while.
We're using Lucene 2.0, and our Index server is THE most stable of
all our components, up for over month (before being taken down for
updates) searching hundreds of various sized indexes sized up to 7Gb
in size, serving 1-2 requests/second during peak usage.

No memory leak spotted at our end, but I'm watching this thread with
interest! :)

cheers,

Paul Smith