lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:41:00 GMT
Ning Li wrote:
> I'm aware of this design. Boolean and phrase queries are an example.
> The point is, there are different queries whose processing will
> (continue to) require different information of terms, especially when
> flexible posting is allowed. The question is, should the number of
> files used to store postings be customizable?

If one needs to search the same data with both unranked boolean
operators and with ranked proximity, one could use different fields.  If
that's an acceptable answer, then we might get away with a single
posting file per segment.  Back-compatibility will be a pain, but we
probably shouldn't let that drive the design.

Doug