lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:49:01 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> A reason not to commit something like this now would be if it
> complicates the effort to make the format extensible.  Each index
> feature we add now will require back-compatibility in the future, and
> we should be hesitant to add features that might be difficult to
> support in the future.
Yes, I agree.

I had the idea of defining Payload as an interface:

public interface Payload {
    void serialize(IndexOutput out) throws IOException;
    int serializedLength();
    void deserialize(IndexInput in, int length) throws IOException;
}

and to have a default implementation ByteArrayPayload that works like my
current patch. Then people could write their own implementation of
Payload and define how to serialize the content.

> For example, this modifies the Token API.  If, long-term, we think
> that Token should be extensible, then perhaps we should make it
> extensible now, and add this through a subclass of Token (perhaps a
> mixin interface that Tokens can implement).

Yes I could introduce a new class called e.g. PayloadToken that extends
Token (good that it is not final anymore). Not sure if I understand your
mixin interface idea... could you elaborate, please?