lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <>
Subject Re: Payloads
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:17:46 GMT
Michael Busch wrote:
> the other hand, if people would like to use the payloads soon I guess
> due to the backwards compatibility it would be low risk to add it to the
> current index format to provide this feature until we can finish the
> flexible format?

A reason not to commit something like this now would be if it
complicates the effort to make the format extensible.  Each index
feature we add now will require back-compatibility in the future, and we
should be hesitant to add features that might be difficult to support in
the future.

For example, this modifies the Token API.  If, long-term, we think that
Token should be extensible, then perhaps we should make it extensible
now, and add this through a subclass of Token (perhaps a mixin interface
that Tokens can implement).

I like the Payload feature, and think it should probably be added.  I
just want to make sure that we've first thought a bit about its

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message