lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: potential indexing perormance improvement for compound index - cut IO - have more files though
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:31:42 GMT
Doron Cohen wrote:
> Also, if nio proves to be faster in this scenario, it might make sense to
> keep current FSDirectory, and just add FSDirectoryNio implementation.

If nio isn't considerably slower for single-threaded applications, I'd
vote to simply switch FSDirectory to use nio, simplifying the public API
by reducing choices.  But if classic io is faster for single-threaded
apps, and nio faster for multi-threaded, that would suggest adding a
new, public, nio-based Directory implementation.

Doug