lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: potential indexing perormance improvement for compound index - cut IO - have more files though
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:03:35 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
 > I'm not yet convinced that the costs of this mid-point justify its
 > benefits.

That was too negative.  Let me try a more positive angle.

Doron Cohen wrote:
> Therefore, a "semi compound" segment file can be defined, that would be
> made of 4 files (instead of 1):
> - File 0: .fdx .tis .tvx
> - File 1: .fdt .tii .tvd
> - File 2: .frq .tvf
> - File 3: .fnm .prx .fN

I think this is a promising direction.  Perhaps instead of adding a
third index format, we can significantly improve the non-compound format
without too much effort.  For example, simply writing all the norms into
a single file could have a large impact on total file handles and would
be a rather simple change.  We could start with that, then see if there
are further incremental improvements to be had.

Doug