lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: branches and flexible indexing
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:10:09 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I propose, once I am done w/ some documentation housekeeping, to begin
> work on http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-662 (Nicolas' patch
> to incorporate flexible indexing to Lucene)  I think this is best
> pursued by branching from trunk at the point I begin and pursuing the
> work on the branch, so that I can commit any updates for others to view
> w/o having to constantly apply patches.
>
> Anyone have any objections to this approach?

Branches make sense when there are several committers involved.  For a
single developer, revising a patch is adequate: the developer's
workspace is effectively a branch.  On the other hand, when there are
several committers actively altering different parts of a source tree,
but with interdependencies, then a patch is no longer feasable and a
branch may be warranted.

It's not clear to me that LUCENE-662 yet deserves a branch.  If you
alone extend Nicolas' work, then a branch is not required.  If you and
Nicolas are going back-and-forth, each extending the other's work, even
then, a branch would not help, since Nicolas is not a committer.

So I'd vote to wait until patch-based development of this becomes
awkward before branching.  If several committers want to contribute to
this patch, and their changes are difficult to integrate, then we should
consider a branch.

Doug