lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: design change suggestion
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:21:04 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
>> 1. IndexRecoverer - assuming the "segments" file is missing or
>> corrupted, this tool rebuilds it based on the *.cfs (and other) files
>> found in the index dir (excludes files listed in deletable)
>
> Excellent.  I know that various cases of "recovering an index" have
> come up on the lists over time.  It would be great to have a single
> tool that can try to correct the different problems that users hit, eg
> removing a single unusable segments file, regenerating the segments
> file, etc.
>
>> 2. IndexSplitter - splits an existing index in 2, 3 or more relatively
>> equally sized indices. It simply splits the segments files in distinct
>> directories and the uses the IndexRecoverer to rebuild each new
>> Index's segment file
>
> Seems like a good tool for contrib?

If these rely only on the public index-format spec and public index
apis, then they could go in contrib, which would be easiest, since
expectations about back-compatibility and long-term support are lower
for contrib.

But if they rely on index package internals then they should be
maintained with the core.  Then the question becomes: are these features
that we can maintain long-term?  The index implementation will likely
evolve, and the existing public API should be supported through this
evolution: APIs must be more durable than implementations.  So, are
these features things that can be supported through likely
implementation changes?

I suspect they are.  We've talked about making the postings format more
flexible, but I have not heard anyone talk about a need to substantially
alter the segments & merging model.  Are we comfortable adding public
APIs that depend on that model?

An index splitter is useful with parallel and/or distributed search.
Splitting on segment boundaries is fairly limited, but perhaps, with
clever use of IndexWriter.setMaxMergeDocs(), it is sufficient.

Doug