lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Stanislav Jordanov <ste...@sirma.bg>
Subject design change suggestion
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 16:36:23 GMT
Hi guys,

For the purpose of our product we've devised a bunch of small tool
classes which handle various utility tasks like:
1. IndexRecoverer - assuming the "segments" file is missing or
corrupted, this tool rebuilds it based on the *.cfs (and other) files
found in the index dir (excludes files listed in deletable)

2. IndexSplitter - splits an existing index in 2, 3 or more relatively
equally sized indices. It simply splits the segments files in distinct
directories and the uses the IndexRecoverer to rebuild each new Index's
segment file

3. IndexMerger - in reverse to IndexSplitter merges some indices into
single index; Uses a modified version of  IndexWriter.addIndexes - it
does not optimize() in the beginning and in the end. This way the
resulting index is not a single huge cfs file, which is desirable in
some cases.

4. IndexOptimizer - Optimizes existing index by merging the 'small'
segments and compacting the large segments (compacting means 'removing
the deleted docs within them'); Also converts to compound file format
any old-style "spilled" segments.

All of the above mentioned tools are classes within the
org.apache.lucene.index package as they use some package-scope methods
and properties (+ they feel like belonging there).

Now the design change suggestion - it is about the 'deletable' related code;
according to the source comments  - the delayed deletion of files
through the 'deletable' is required on Window only as this OS prevents
files opened for reading to be deleted.
Working on the IndexOptimizer tool I found myself in a situation where I
needed to 'safe delete' a bunch of obsolete segments while having only
an (FS)Directory and a segment file name. And the 'safe delete' feature
is in IndexWriter. Then after reviewing the code I came to the
conclusion that the 'safe delete' feature logically belongs to the
(FS)Directory class, not to IndexWriter. I was able to move the
corresponding code from IndexWriter to (FS)Directory IMO this way is better.
I am attaching (the 2.0.0) modified sources of IndexWriter and
(FS)Directory for your consideration. (Disclaimer - I can't guarantee my
changes are bug-free)

Best regards,
Stanislav