lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Attached proposed modifications to Lucene 2.0 to support Field.Store.Encrypted
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:24:48 GMT
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>> So, Victor, do you think this functionality could be reasonably packaged
>> as an add-on package to Lucene?
>
> Doug, for an answer to most of your questions could you please refer to my
> answer to Chris Hostetter  [ ... ]

Let me be more direct.  Encryption of Lucene fields may be useful.
However Lucene's developers don't appear to feel that it's appropriate
to include it in Lucene's the core at this time, and it doesn't seem
you're making much progress convincing them.

There are two ways you could go from here: you could continue to argue
whether encryption should be added to the core, or you could try to
incorporate the feedback from the Lucene team, and perhaps try to get
encryption added to Lucene as an add-on package.  I think the latter
approach is much more likely to be successful and will be less
frustrating for all concerned.

Doug