lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Attached proposed modifications to Lucene 2.0 to support Field.Store.Encrypted
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:35:50 GMT
robert engels wrote:
> I would counter that it is not a compelling feature for MOST users of
> Lucene, but it can still be implemented externally using binary fields
> for those that require it, and or even easier (and maybe even faster)
> using a encrypted filesystem with proper security.

+1

Some utilities for encrypting and decrypting binary fields might make a
useful contrib module, but I see no compelling reason to add this to the
core at this point.  If such a contrib module becomes widely used, and
it becomes clear that it would work better if more tightly integrated,
then perhaps we could move it into the core.

So, Victor, do you think this functionality could be reasonably packaged
as an add-on package to Lucene?  If so, it would be much easier to get
it included in Lucene as a contrib module.

Doug