lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: potential indexing perormance improvement for compound index - cut IO - have more files though
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:36:17 GMT
Some work on NIO-based FSDirectory has already been done.  Some performance info is included,
too:

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 2:31:42 PM
Subject: Re: potential indexing perormance improvement for compound index - cut IO - have
more files though

Doron Cohen wrote:
> Also, if nio proves to be faster in this scenario, it might make sense to
> keep current FSDirectory, and just add FSDirectoryNio implementation.

If nio isn't considerably slower for single-threaded applications, I'd
vote to simply switch FSDirectory to use nio, simplifying the public API
by reducing choices.  But if classic io is faster for single-threaded
apps, and nio faster for multi-threaded, that would suggest adding a
new, public, nio-based Directory implementation.

Doug