lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: 15 minute hang in IndexInput.clone() involving finalizers
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:41:26 GMT
Chuck,

On Saturday 16 December 2006 09:06, Chuck Williams wrote:

> I can see reading 1 million terms and building the comparator taking a
> while, although not the 15-20 minutes it does, and am baffled at how
> every thread dump on many trials of this issue end up with every one
> inside the clone()!  The clone just doesn't do much, the most expensive
> thing being copying the 1024 byte buffer in BufferedIndexInput.

Is the underlying OS swapping virtual memory at the same time?
When that is the case, the JVM can only wait for the pages to become
available for the copying.
This might be another source of delays, like the network accesses
mentioned earlier.

The way around this is to make sure the swap space is never needed,
i.e. limit the memory to the JVM, or make more physical RAM available.

Regards,
Paul Elschot