lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Exposing IndexReader commit()
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:28:03 GMT
Does anyone have any thoughts or feelings about this?

There is also Robert Engels IndexReader.reopen():

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.lucene.devel/9082/match=reopen

(I couldn't find this in JIRA - is it sharable?)

Thanks,
Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2006 5:35:20 PM
Subject: Exposing IndexReader commit()

Hello,

I'm wondering about opening up commit() in IndexReader.  It's currently "protected".

We'd like to be able to control the flushing of deletes to disk, and it looks like that's
what IndexReader's commit() does.  We tried extending SegmentReader with our own version that
overrides commit() and let's us call it.  This worked for indices with a single segment, because
they are read by SegmentReader.  However, this didn't work with multi-segment indices, because
unlike SegmentReader, MultiReader doesn't know how to dynamically load a custom MultiReader.
Both SegmentReader and MultiReader extend IndexReader, which contains that protected commit().

Next, we thought we'd try extending IndexReader and using our own IndexReader, but since Segment|MultiReader
extend IndexReader directly, I don't think this approach would work.

In the end, we just made commit() public in IndexReader, and solved our problem for both single
and multi-segment indices.

Is there a better way to control flushing to disk without closing and re-opening an IndexReader,
which is more expensive than just commit()ing.
If not, what do you think about making commit() public and javadocing it with "Expert:...."?

Thanks,
Otis