lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Simon Willnauer" <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: ThirdParty Jars in GData
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:43:12 GMT
Sure I can and I will :)

The main reason why this refactoring takes place is that currently
there are heaps of "hard" dependencies created by the "service" model
gdata-server uses. Services are accessed by calling a registry similar
to JNDI without a a container. The services are configurable like a
lot classes inside the server. It gives me, and it would do to other
developers as well, a hard time to implement test cases because the
registry is needed and wired to tight into the server.
That's why I evaluated some IoC DI container like spring, hivemind,
pico and Felix (Apache OSGi). Hivemind felt good to me due to some
reasons (some more on this later @siren I will send a separate email
on this topic).
So on the todo list are some other things like webservice integration
for admin actions and exposing Services and monitoring data to JMX .
Hivemind offers a very nice JMX integration which is plugable and with
hive-utils comes a ready to use damned fast hessian webservice impl.
which I used for another project. No wsdl / wsdd overhead, no
descriptors just an Infterface and your ws is ready to go. Client
API's for almost every lanugages (python ruby php java c#...) which
enables users to integrate admin func. in their application which
could be a pain with axis as I experienced.
Further on is a lot of configuration needed for some services which is
currently handled by commons digester which is alright but hard to
test and hivemind offers easy way to define default configurations and
let users override these in top level descriptors.
Another reason is that my professor granted me 	exemption from
university courses to work on GData which gives me the possibility to
do such a comprehensive refactoring.

After all this will improve test / software quality reuseablity and
gives me a lot of tools to offer nice administration access without
reinventing the wheel.

best regards
Simon

On 11/8/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Simon,
>
> Before starting work on all this, could you please share some of your plans with us?
 For example, I'm curious why Hivemind is needed.