lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: lock-less commits data no longer in FileFormats document
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:00:07 GMT
> More then likely the specific changes you asked about were overlooked
when
> porting from the old style xdocs directory to the new forrest directory
> structure ...

Should we create an issue for restoring this data in the trunk version of
the docs?

> but even if they weren't how should these changes be
> managed? ... the "site trunk" of the needs to be what is published to
> the webserver, so that things like the news, and list of committers can
be
> updated on a regular basis ... but how do we reconcile that with the face
> that we want docs like fileformats and query syntax to be "static" with
> the last release?

I think the docs maintained in the repository's trunk/doc should be up to
date - it has to be in sync with the trunk code. This means, at least as
long the official Web site docs are for latest official release, not having
an automatic update of the official Web site that reflects changes to
trunk/doc/*.

> I still maintain that the cleanest way to handle things is to say that
the
> "default" site represent the latest greatest documentation -- javadocs
and
> forrest generated docs as of hte last nightly build -- with links to the
> "snapshots" of the site for the last N releases using URLs that make it
> clear which release they point at, so...
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/fileformats.html

+1,  +this site can be automatically update from trunk/doc.

> ...would be whatever the trunk of that doc says today, but...
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/2.0/fileformats.html

This of course should not be updated from trunk/doc.