lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Controlling Hits
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:06:49 GMT
The only thing that Hits gives that I want without the expense (Hits is
expensive to use this way) is that you can do a search and get all of
the results back with sorting...sorting appears to be built into
TopDocs, so you don't get it with a HitCollector. If you try and use
TopDocs instead of hits then you need to know how many docs will
match...you do not have that info before doing the search...TopDocs
requires it though (for sorting and non sorting), to initialize its
priority queues to the correct size. Hits is also nice for normalizing
scores for you.

- Mark

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Heh, brave! :)  I haven't used TopDocs enough to feel this strong against Hits yet.
> But while we are at it, what I think I really want is what Marvin does in KinoSearch:
>
>    my $hits = $searcher->search( query => $query );
>    $hits->seek( $offset, $num_wanted );
>
> This suits my experience and typical use of Lucene.  I always know which "page" of results
I want, and how many matches I want to show per page, so I always know the offset and always
know how many matches after that offset I need. If I show 10 results per page, and want to
get a third page of results, ideally I'd do as little work as possible for the first 20 matches,
and just get the slice I need.  Of course, I'll still need to go through the first 20 and
score them, but in the end I'll just throw them out.

> Otis

number of Documents it reads from disk?