lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hibernate Lucene trademark issues
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:23:15 GMT
Here's my understanding.  Lucene is a trademark of Apache.  In the
context of search technology, Lucene should only be used to refer to
Apache Lucene, and that must be unambiguous.  Thus if there's a chance
that someone might think you're talking about "JBoss Lucene" then you
must make it clear that you're really referring to Apache's Lucene.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#Marks

Apache's Trademark policy isn't totally spelled out, but there's been a
proposal to follow Eclipse's guidelines:

http://www.eclipse.org/legal/logo_guidelines.php

Under these guidelines, a product named "Hibernate Lucene" would not be
permitted, but "Hibernate for Lucene" would.

Doug