lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bernard <emman...@hibernate.org>
Subject Hibernate Lucene trademark issues
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:24:27 GMT
Hi guys,
I'm Emmanuel Bernard from JBoss.
I'm the current lead developer of the Hibernate Lucene integration module.
The goal of this project is to facilitate the integration of a search
capability to Hibernate based applications. And guess what, I use Lucene ;-)
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/annotations/reference/en/html/lucene.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/hibernate-dev%40lists.jboss.org/msg00392.html

I realized this week end that the 'Hibernate Lucene' name might infringe
the Apache Lucene trademark policy.
http://www.cafepress.com/lucene/ seems to state that Lucene is a
trademark of the Apache Software Foundation (nice golf shirt BTW)
But I wasn't able to find any document explaining the fair use of the
Lucene brand (the license as well as the notice seem to be silent on
this subject).

Even if Lucene in not trademarked, what do you consider a fair use of
your brand? I'm happy to rename my project, I guess the initial choice
was more a tribute to your project than anything else.

Emmanuel

PS: please forward this email to the appropriate persons if this is not
the case already (PMC or whatever)