lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <>
Subject Re: ParallelMultiSearcher reimplementation
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 21:43:35 GMT
Chris Hostetter wrote on 11/03/2006 09:40 AM:
> : Is there any timeline for when Java 1.5 packages will be allowed?
> I don't think i'll incite too much rioting to say "no there is no
> timeline"
> .. I may incite some rioting by saying "my guess is 1.5 packages will be
> supported when the patches requiring them become highly desired.

Not being shy about inciting riots, the problem with this approach is
that people using Java 1.5 are discouraged from submitting patches to
being with.

Doug Cutting wrote on 11/03/2006 08:39 AM:
> Please consider breaking these into separate patches, one to permit
> ParallelMultiSearcher w/ HitCollector to not be single-threaded, and
> another to re-implement things with a thread pool.  The latter is more
> controversial, and it would be a shame to have the former wait on it.

Why would a thread pool be more controversial?  Dynamically creating and
garbaging threads has many downsides.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message