lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Controlling Hits
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 06:38:05 GMT
Hi,

Could we make Hits non-final, or at least expose something in Hits to control the number of
Documents it reads from disk?
I'm looking at:
  getMoreDocs(50); // retrieve 100 initially
  int n = min * 2;    // double # retrieved
(Why * 2?  To "read and cache ahead"?)

... and wondering how I could control those two numbers.  If reading Documents out of the
index is the thing to minimize, then by changing/decreasing that 50 and maybe eliminating
that * 2, I would hit my disk a little less, no?  Maybe something as simple as this will do:

  public static void fetchDocs(int)

Or maybe the answer is: Use the search method that returns TopDocs if you want more control...?

Thanks,
Otis