lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "David Balmain" <dbalmain...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ferret's changes
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:02:34 GMT
On 10/10/06, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe I missed it, but I was surprised that nobody here wondered about the algorithm
and data structure changes that Dave Balmain made in Ferret, to make it go faster (than Java
Lucene).  I know I've been wondering whether/when Dave will bring those up, and what the chances
of those changes being applied to Java Lucene are.

> Here is an interesting and recent interview with Dave that mentions some of this stuff.
>
>   http://on-ruby.blogspot.com/2006/10/ruby-hacker-interview-dave-balmain.html
>
> Otis

Hi Otis,

I did bring this up here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-dev/200607.mbox/%3cd792e0dc0607091844q2efb98ate32f33b128dfad27@mail.gmail.com%3e

The reason I didn't press the issue was that the changes are pretty
substantial and would break backwards compatibility in Lucene. Also, I
didn't think the major performance benifits would map back to Java
since I'm taking advantage of the fact that I have so much control
over memory allocation in C.

Given these factors and the fact that benchmarks can be a very touchy
subject, particularly in the Java community, I thought it better to
leave any performance comparison off this list. It looks like the cat
is out of the bag now so I'll put some benchmarks up on my Wiki and
everyone can check that I haven't cheated or made any mistakes. I'll
use the Reuters collection:

    http://www.daviddlewis.com/resources/testcollections/reuters21578/

If anyone thinks I should use a different corpus, please let me know.
I also have the entire Gutenburg collection here. I'll post a link
when I'm done.

Cheers,
Dave