lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ferret's changes
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:26:00 GMT
On 10/10/06, David Balmain <dbalmain.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> The start of my benchmarks are here:
>
> http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac/wiki/FerretVsLucene
>
> I did set maxBufferedDocs to 1000 and optimized both indeces at the
> end

Ah, I had missed that link last time....Is the current code up-to-date?

The lucene version is is using maxBufferedDocs=1000, while it looks
like the Ferret version is using 20,000.  Given that the corpus is
only 19,043 documents, the Ferret optimize would be a no-op since it's
already a single segment.?

Also, the ferret merge factor is set to 100, while java-lucene is
unset (defaults to 10).  That will matter if maxBufferedDocs is
lowered in Ferret.

If maximum indexing speed is really the goal, I'd also expect the
non-compound file format to be used.  A bigger corpus (more docs, not
larger size) would also be welcome.

What is the effect of    :max_buffer_memory => 0x10000000 ?

-Yonik