lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ferret's changes
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:03:17 GMT
On 10/10/06, David Balmain <dbalmain.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given these factors and the fact that benchmarks can be a very touchy
> subject, particularly in the Java community,

OK, I'll bite!  (but I'm always too aggravated at many of the Java
design decisions to consider myself part of that community ;-)

I always see unqualified statements about Ferret being faster than
Lucene, but I only see benchmarks for Indexing to back it up:
http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=9058

Now, I'm sure that Ferret is faster for indexing, but I'm still curious if you:
 - used the non-compound format
  - optimized both indicies at the end
  - set maxBufferedDocs to 1000 (or at least 100)

So is Ferret faster for searching too?  The absence of stats suggests
that it's not :-)

> I thought it better to
> leave any performance comparison off this list. It looks like the cat
> is out of the bag now so I'll put some benchmarks up on my Wiki and
> everyone can check that I haven't cheated or made any mistakes.

Cool, looking forward to it.  Is there something that can be used for
search benchmarking also?

Looking forward to progress on Lucy.  What is done there could
potentially be the a future Lucene index format.

-Yonik