lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: lock path thoughts
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:14:39 GMT

: Doug explains the rationale here:
:
: http://xrl.us/svsz (Link to mail-archives.apache.org)

That rationale makes a lot of sense for FSDirectory/SimpleLockFactory to
use by default (since it already doesn't work in a distributed disk
system like NFS) but as we start getting other Directory/LockFactory
implementations which may not have these problems, we need to make sure
that those new classes aren't limited by this.

My initial thought was that this would be something the lockFactory
already had control over, but then i realized this is really driven by
Directory.getLockID, and LockFactory.setLockPrefix ... it looks like
perhaps newer LockFactories that can work on distributed drives might need
to have non-trivial setLockPrefix methods that ignore their input.

Either that or we punt on the issue and just have really good
documentation to the effect that apps on systems using shared drives need
to call lockFactory.setLockPrefix explicitly.

-Hoss