lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: CLucene incubation - call for a mentor
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:09:10 GMT

On Oct 15, 2006, at 3:13 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> perhaps this can dove-tail with the Lucy incubation?

Lucy is all new code, so the project isn't actually passing through
the incubator.  We're looking at what Lucene did, what Ferret (Ruby/
C, Dave Balmain) did, and what KinoSearch (Perl/C, myself) did,
cherry-picking the best bits, and synthesizing something new.  I
don't really see how that process can be reconciled with the concept
of importing CLucene (C++) en toto.  I imagine Ben would bring a lot
to Lucy, though, should he choose to start contributing.  (Same for
other CLucene authors; I'm only familiar with Ben.)

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/