lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jira workflow
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:50:49 GMT
Steven Parkes wrote:
> 	Just because you've gotten back doesn't mean the issue is gone.
>
> No, just clarifying whose court the ball is in.

To make progress, an issue needs an advocate.  If no one cares about it,
it will languish.  If the advocate is not capable of doing the work
themselves then they must somehow motivate someone else to act as their
proxy, by convincing them that the issue has merit or by paying them.
If progress on an issue is not apparent to someone who cares then they
should politely enquire.

This is different from a supported software model, where every customer
issue must be resolved.  The customer pays for that service.  But here
we can have many requests that are not backed with resources.  That
doesn't make them unreasonable requests.

The best way to tell whether a request is backed with resources is if it
is assigned and scheduled.  If it isn't, then one should assume it does
not yet have resources.

BTW, I added new fields to Lucene for "New" issues and "Patch
Available".  This is much lighter-weight than switching the workflow,
although it doesn't seem to appear on all the screens yet.  Perhaps it
just takes a while...

Doug