lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: jira workflow
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2006 03:49:25 GMT
I think we want to keep things as simple, yet organized.
Assigning issues to oneself is really useful for issues that require more time, so it's clear
who's working on them.
I probably made a mistake assigning myself that one issue just to commit it.  I wanted to
signal I'd take care of it, but I should have really just committed the patch and marked the
issue resolved.  That is how we have been working so far, and it has worked for us, so I don't
think we need to change that.
Hadoop developers have a pretty elaborate JIRA workflow with a number of specific states,
but I think they need that because Hadoop is still in a rapid development mode.  Lucene is
in a different life stage.  I'm really talking about issue assignment part of the workflow
here.  "Patch available" is handy.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Steven Parkes <steven_parkes@esseff.org>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:14:19 PM
Subject: RE: jira workflow

Follow up on the workflow stuff:

With a larger group of people able to work at the Jira level, do we want
to have an approach to assignee? Otis was getting ready to commit a
patch I had shepherded through and assigned the issue to himself in the
process. This is what's always been done in the past, but in the past
committers  and developers/contributors were pretty much synonymous.

Since that's not the case now, I'd suggest it's reasonable for a
committer to commit w/o changing the assignee, only changing the state
to resolved. Facilitates communication on issues that might arise later
and helps gauge individual involvement.

I suppose there's the possibility that two committers might be looking
at committing something at the same time, though I think comments cover
that?

Seem reasonable?