lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene indices for Archiva (The Maven Repository Manager)
Date Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:29:42 GMT
This is probably better discussed on java-user...

I'd play with having the base indexed download, and with deltas sent down as compressed plain-text
files.  Client/IDE side can then uncompress + process + delete + add + be happy.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Jason van Zyl <jason@maven.org>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 10:43:00 AM
Subject: Lucene indices for Archiva (The Maven Repository Manager)

Hi,

We have happily been using Lucene in Archiva and we're ready to use
Lucene in a more advanced for efficiency.

Currently we create a number of indices for all the information in
the Maven repository and we are placing everything into one Lucene
index. Right now the index is 180mb uncompressed and ~20mb when
compressed.

We would like to create a base index and then provide index updates
on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis so that people don't have to
drag down the whole index down again and again. The primary target
for this index is IDE integration which uses Maven repository
information to guide users in selecting dependencies.

Has anyone implemented something like this? Any guidelines or tips we
should follow?

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org