lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Re: Clustering IndexWriter?
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 16:21:03 GMT
I don't fully follow, and I don't even have the "it's late!" excuse.  It sounds like you want
to have the same index on multiple nodes in the cluster and when a data change occurs, you
want to synchronously make the same change to all indices in your cluster.  Is that it?

Solr has a different approach.  There, only the master index is modified, while slave servers
copy the master index periodically.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Steve Harris <sharrissf@gmail.com>
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:18:43 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Clustering IndexWriter?

Sure,

I'm fairly new to Lucene but what I was trying to do was make it so
that an index could be shared among multiple nodes. If an index is
updated in any way it would be updated across the cluster coherently.
In my first version I was really only taking advantage of the fact
that we detect fine grained changes and can extend synchronization
across the cluster but if I can prove to myself that this is actually
useful I'll go back and mark some of the synchronize blocks/methods as
read locks to improve concurrency and reduce instrumentation to only
what is needed.

If I'm going to be able to publish the config for what I'm doing I
would need to change that one class that I mentioned above becuase we
won't support subclasses of collections for a few more months.

I'm not a very good writer. Does any of that make sense?

Summary would be:
Goals,
Usefully cluster luncene indexes for across multiple nodes.

Questions:
Is this useful in the real world
Would it be  possible to get that one small thing changed.

Cheers,
Steve