lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LUCENE-528 and 565
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:06:31 GMT
Lucene-528 and Lucene-565 serve different purposes. One cannot replace
the other.

I'm totally for a version of addIndexes() where optimize() is not
always called. However, with the one proposed in the patch, we could
end up with an index where: segment 0 has 1000 docs, 1 has 2000, 2 has
4000, 3 has 8000, etc. while Lucene desires the reverse. Or we could
have a sandwich index where: segment 0 has 4000 docs, 1 has 100, 2 has
100, 3 has 4000. While neither of these will occur if you use
addIndexesNoOpt() carefully, there should be a more robust merge
policy.