lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <>
Subject Re: Lock-less commits
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:23:44 GMT
On 8/20/06, Michael McCandless <> wrote:
> On deletable: yes, I'm currently GC'ing unused segments by doing a
> full directory listing.

Actually, you could get a full directory listing once per IndexWriter
and keep the results up-to-date in memory (including deletes that
fail).  No need for a "deletable" file, and the directory-listing hit
is only taken once per IndexWriter instance, not once per merge.

IndexWriters also need to open IndexReaders (SegmentReaders) for
merging... I don't know if you needed to modify SegmentReader in a way
that reduces performance, but if so it might be possible to make a
special package protected factory method for use by IndexWriter that
regains any performance loss by making certain assumptions.

-Yonik Solr, the open-source Lucene search server

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message