lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lock-less commits
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 14:31:39 GMT
On 8/18/06, Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> > One would also have to worry about partially deleted segments on
> > Windows... while removing a segment, some of the files might fail to
> > delete (due to still being open) and some might succeed.
>
> Yes, I think this case is handled correctly.  Once all searchers using
> those old segments are closed, then the next commit that runs will
> remove those files (just like it does today).

Unix systems don't have to worry about this.
Windows systems use "deletable" to track what they should try to delete later.
How are you handling it?  Get a full directory listing and try to
remove any older segment files?

I agree with the benefits of not requiring locking to open an
IndexReader, but I wonder at the performance cost of the directory
listing needed to "garbage collect" old segment files and to find the
newest "segments.xxx"

-Yonik