lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GData-Server: SoC almost finished, server almost done so far....
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:22:52 GMT
On 8/7/06, Simon Willnauer <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Good stuff yonik!!
> On 8/7/06, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
> > It's looking good Simon, I was trying out some queries on your public server.
> >
> > > So is there a place for the gdata server on http://lucene.apache.org/java/?
> > > Should that located in the sandbox of as a contribution?
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what you are asking here... do you mean a place for
> > a web-site or documentation?
> Well, I thought that the documentation will stay on the wiki maybe on
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/gdata-server
> or
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/gdata
>
> All other contributions are listed on the lucene.apache.org website
> and i was curious if  the gdata server should be integrated there as
> well.

Projects under lucene.apache.org are official ASF subprojects of
Lucene.  As gdata-server stands now, it is a contrib package of
java-lucene, not a sub-project (changing that would require the Lucene
PMC, and maybe the ASF Incubator).

Things under contrib have entries here:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/lucene-sandbox/

> I'm not sure how you handle versioning e.g. tags in the ASF / lucene
> so should this first step be taged as I'll say 0.1 or something at
> all?!
>
> There are also some questions about how the server should be
> distributed, well a war file is fine for deploying a web application
> but you should be able to configure directories and other stuff for
> your suites before deploying the whole thing. I will think about that
> and make some suggestions.

The normal method for things in Lucene's contrib area is to be
versioned and distributed along with the rest of Lucene.

-Yonik