lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Why is FuzzyQuery a final class?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:39:07 GMT

: forms with a fuzzy term, otherwise I get to much noise). However, FuzzyQuery
: is a final class and I cannot extend it. Could that be changed?

It's been final since the first rev ... i seem to recall some discussion
about many Lucene classes being final as a speed optimization in really
old JVMs, so it probably could be changed, but it would be a good idea to
audit the variables/methods in the class to make sure they would play nice
with subclasses (ie: no private methods that a subclass would likely need
to call, etc...)

that's not to say however that there isn't still a legitimate reason why
the class is final that i'm not realizing.

-Hoss