lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Andreas Neumann" <neun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why is FuzzyQuery a final class?
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 06:18:47 GMT
On 8/9/06, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> old JVMs, so it probably could be changed, but it would be a good idea to
> audit the variables/methods in the class to make sure they would play nice
> with subclasses (ie: no private methods that a subclass would likely need
> to call, etc...)

Right, a subclass would probably like to see the minimumSimilarity and
prefixLength. They would be useful to redefine the enumerator.

Then there are also the inner classes ScoreTerm and ScoreTermQueue, used
by rewrite() to collect the most similar terms returned by the enumerator. If a
subclass wants to redefine rewrite(), they may be useful, and I don't
think it's
harmful to expose them.

> that's not to say however that there isn't still a legitimate reason why
> the class is final that i'm not realizing.

The class is fairly simple, and very similar to, for instance, WildcardQuery
(which is not final).

Andreas.