lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Williams <ch...@manawiz.com>
Subject Re: Combining search steps without re-searching
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:51:40 GMT

Andrzej Bialecki wrote on 08/28/2006 09:19 AM:
> Chuck Williams wrote:
>> I presume your search steps are anded, as in typical drill-downs?
>>
>> >From  a Lucene standpoint, each sequence of steps is a BooleanQuery of
>> required clauses, one for each step.  To add a step, you extend the
>> BooleanQuery with a new clause.  To not re-evaluate the full query,
>>

> ... umm, guys, wouldn't a series of QueryFilter's work much better in
> this case? If some of the clauses are repeatable, then filtering
> results through a cached BitSet in such filtered query would work
> nicely, right?

If the possible initial steps comprise a small finite set, I could see
that as a winner.  In my app for instance, the drill-down selectors are
dynamic and drawn from a large set of possibilities.  It's hard to see
how any small set of filters would be much of a benefit.  A large set of
filters would consume too much space.  For a 10 million document node at
1.25 megabytes per filter even a couple hundred filters adds up to
something significant.

As I understand things, filters take considerably more time to initially
create but then can more than make this up through repetitive use.  So
they are a winner iff there are a small number of specific steps that
are frequently and disproportionately used.

Chuck