lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki>
Subject Re: Empty doc objects & "The handle is invalid" IOExceptions
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:09:14 GMT
MarkWilliams wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having a strange problem with Lucene and am wondering if anyone can
> help me.
> I have Lucene indexing my site ok, but the problem is with queries.
> Search is fine with some terms but when searching with certain other terms,
> it seems mainly with terms containing spaces, although others have caused
> problems, I get the IOException error "The handle is invalid". I have
> debuged my app. and for some reason, the hits object is being filled with
> mostly null doc objects and some doc objects with field values, however when
> trying to loop through the hits object, I get the "The handle is invalid"
> error.
> Does anyone know why I'm getting so many empty doc objects and how I can go
> about fixing the IOException error.

This sounds like a symptom of closing IndexReader (or IndexSearcher) too
early. Your IndexReader/IndexSearcher must be open throughout the life
of the Hits object - documents are lazy-loaded into Hits only when you
request them, and behind the scenes Lucene is reading them from the

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration  Contact: info at sigram dot com

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message