lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Combining search steps without re-searching
Date Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:31:28 GMT
On Monday 28 August 2006 23:17, eks dev wrote:
> you are right Chuck, it depends... Filters are great for fields with small
cardinality (majority of terms in normal collection) or things that are
sorted (assuming Paul's patch gets commited so we do not use BitSet and we
could use less memory hungry structures like interval lists :) With BitSet,
paradoxically it makes sense to use them for high freq. terms to save memory

Also, filters loose scoring values of earlier clauses that are filtered for
drilling down.
Adding required clauses to a boolean query and searching this
query combines the scoring values of all clauses.

> Hi commiters, any chance of getting rid of BitSet in Filter? Can somebody
guide what else needs to be done to have it commited, we have a pair of hands
to help...

One more here,

Thanks,
Paul Elschot